Extreme weather conditions can assume numerous forms that are caused by different circumstances and they occur each year across the globe. While storms aren’t a norm in Sydney, the city and its surrounding areas do experience their fair share of stormy weather that is sometimes accompanied by sleeting rain, high winds and hail. While these storms surface sporadically, they leave a path of severe destruction behind them.
Regardless of whether your home structure has suffered any damage or not, it’s best to hire the services of a professional, licensed building inspector to get the entire property thoroughly checked. There are a number of risks that can result from extreme weather conditions; the unfortunate part is that not all damage is clearly visible to the eye. In order to prevent any further damage to your home or injury to your family members, a detailed safety check should be performed. Read on to learn why it’s a good idea to get your home inspected after extreme weather events.
A comprehensive safety & building inspection
It is crucial for your own safety to conduct a detailed check on all the access points to the structure before entering it after any extreme weather events. This is the time when professional building & pest inspections can be extremely helpful and there are certain steps that have to be taken with reference to these inspections:
- Do not enter any structures where rescue operations are in progress, as that can hinder the operations.
- There is always a risk of damaged and uneven ceilings and floorings, and the risk of contaminated water, especially in the wake of a storm. Be wary when you are walking around and watch your step.
- If any water source within your building is suspect, avoid it.
- Be aware of possible gas leaks.
- Don’t forget about loose plaster and drywalls; they can be quite risky and can also collapse any time.
- If you notice any frayed/sparking/ broken wires, turn off the power at the circuit breaker or the main fuse box.
- Thoroughly check and dry all your electrical equipment before switching them back on.
- After most extreme weather conditions, pests and animals look for shelter and a safe place wherever they can. Be wary while walking around as they may be hiding in nooks and crannies in your home.
- There is always the possibility of dangerous bacteria and insects inside the building, but they aren’t visible to the naked eye; this makes it imperative to get a detailed building inspection done.
The detailed approach
Building damage is extremely common post extreme weather conditions and this makes it important to carry out detailed safety checks. It’s important that you get a qualified building inspector to perform all these checks as they have the expertise and tools to will look into things that you wouldn’t even have considered.
Once they have completed the job and given you a detailed report, it’s important to take the building handover. Make sure you oversee the work they do and keep the report and a copy of the handover. These steps can go a long way in ensuring your home structure is safe and that you can start on getting the damaged portions fixed or replaced once the insurance inspectors have come in and surveyed the area.
If you want to know more about our services Inspect It First, don’t hesitate to call us at 1300 557 047 or contact us through our contact form.
Thanks for reading,
Inspect It First Team
1300 557 047